Wetzel County, West Virginia
The first American settler in the Green district was James Troy who arrived in 1791 [John C. McEldowney, History of Wetzel County, West Virginia (1901), 51]. His property eventually transferred to Morgan Morgan, “Spy Mod,” who built his house there in 1804 and built a grist mill [McEldowney, 51].
Within the district, the town of Pine Grove is located on Big Fishing Creek and is serviced by the Short Line Railroad [McEldowney]. In 1900, the population was about 112 and town had one school, a Baptist church, three doctors, stores for clothing and dry goods, a meat market, a barber shop, two blacksmiths, a hardware store, a harness shop, a general store, two bakeries, three groceries, and three hotels [McEldowney]. After the development of oil and gas industry in the county, the town’s population increased by a factor of three or four [Ray V. Hennen, Geological Survey: Marshall, Wetzel, and Tyler Counties (Morgantown WV: Acme Publishing, 1909), 23].
“Pine Grove,” on Wikipedia.
1933 Map of Wetzel County with Green District shown, Historic Mapworks website.